Sometimes in the morning I get so rushed and I don’t have enough time to make a nice fancy breakfast. Even eggs take too much time if I’m in a big rush. Something I’ve recently found to be a quick and easy breakfast meal is a breakfast mug cake. It’s really simple, just mix your ingredients and pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I’ve seen a lot of different recipes for mug cakes, but I’ve only tried the blueberry kind. I found this recipe from Pinterest and have been using it ever since!
One day, I didn’t have any blueberry so I tried cutting up apples into little pieces and adding them to my mixture. both tasted great! The recipe only uses a few ingredients, and it doesn’t call for much. It fills almost my entire mug, but be careful, the mixture does rise a lot while it cooks. Something to make this recipe even better is pairing it with a cold glass of milk or fresh fruit while you eat it. Delicious!
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Scant 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Coarse sparkling sugar, optional garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder until thoroughly, completely combined, with no streaks of any ingredients remaining. Blend in milk, butter, and vanilla until batter is smooth. Stir in blueberries and pour batter into a 14-ounce (or larger) microwave-safe mug with straight sides. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until cake is done to your liking. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
This was super easy and it tastes amazing! Have you ever had mug cake before? What’s your favorite kind? Let me know below and check out Five Heart Home for more great recipes!